5/08/2006

What Teachers Make



















The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"


He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence.

You want to know what I make?

I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them write.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English.

I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow your heart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn."

Susan paused and then continued. "You want to know what I make? I make a difference! What do you make?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head Friday.
It comes down to whether you have a philosphy that says some things are intangible and still have enourmous value,or one that says "if you can't put a price tag on it it aint worth nothing". I think we know where the OTBLers stand on that issue.
In the BIG picture they are, they have the smaller vision. Realizing that:
Priceless...........

Anonymous said...

If the teacher had said that I we systematically stamp out mass produced cloans who all get an A+ on everything they touch and all have recieved full ride scholarships to the best university in the universe, the OTBL'ers would "get it."

However, when you deal with reality instead of Austrian economic theory, students are individuals with different levels of skills and abilities and they come from families that are all different, etc., etc. It's not as simple as equalibrium happens when the supply line cross the demand line.

Anonymous said...

Try paying the electric company with self esteem - chances are that they won't except it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, this is such an old post, I just stumbled upon it, but...

Clint, chances are that they won't "except" it, because you obviously weren't listening when a teacher taught you about the difference between "except" and "accept."

And to the fictitious CEO: What did you learn from people whose best option in life was to be a teacher? How to be a damn fine CEO? Where would you be without the teachers?