3/12/2006

Thoughts On Kirby Puckett

"Baseball doesn't owe me a thing. I owe my whole life to baseball."
--Kirby Puckett (1960-2006)

People come and go...that's the way life works. I never met Kirby Puckett, shook his hand, asked for his autograph or touched him. But he touched me. I saw him in action at the Metro Dome numerous times, watched and listened as his career with the Minnesota Twins started, climbed its way to a place in the Baseball Hall of Fame and was cut short. Over the past week, I've been reading the stories and listening to the tributes to the the late, great Kirby Puckett. For myself, reflecting on Kirby's 12-year career with the Twins, I'll take the game six home run in the 1991 World Series for my highlight.

It was do or die for the Twins that October Sunday night. Atlanta was leading the Series 3-2. I was at my Dad's house watching the game. I'm in the easy chair and the Old Man is sitting in his chair with Mittens the cat sleeping on his lap. The score was tied 3-3 going into the bottom of the 11th. Atlanta's Charlie Leibrandt threw the pitch and Kirby blasted the ball over the left-field fence to extend the Series to game seven. Both the Old Man and I shouted "YES!" at the same time, jumped up and did the High-5 thing. The cat jumped about five feet into the air, ran into the kitchen and hid. I told the Old Man I'd be back the next night to watch the final game.

The Old Man has passed on as have Kirby and Mittens the cat. Life works that way. I'm not sure I always accept the ways in which life works, but I am forever thankful for the memories I've been provided. I remember that October night a decade and a half ago like it was yesterday. I'd give everything to live that night over, but I know it will never happened. Memories come and go, but some of them stick with you forever...that's the way life works.

No comments: