11/23/2009

Walls Of Dreams & Nightmares

"America was and is the immigrant's dream."

Don DeLillo

"As you know, I'm an immigrant. I came over here as an immigrant, and what gave me the opportunities, what made me to be here today, is the open arms of Americans. I have been received. I have been adopted by America."

Arnold Schwarzenegger

“Reagan went to Berlin and said, ‘Tear down this wall.' We went to San Diego and said, ‘Build a fence.’ It was just stupid. You have Hispanics saying, ‘I’m not going to vote for those guys because they don’t like me.’ ”

Dick Armey
Freedom Works lobbyist

Read Dick Armey Is Back on the Attack
@ New York Times Magazine


"...José and Victoria don’t like talking about their journey into America - that episode in their life is over. But the kids can’t keep from recounting the story, and the memory of the blisters on their feet walking north through the desert with their mother.

Ask José why he came here, and he will say he wanted a job with a wage that could support his family. He entered the U.S. legally with a work visa, but decided not to return after it expired.

Ask him why he stayed, and the undocumented Mexican sounds more like a patriot than an alien..."


Read more of A delicate existence: Undocumented and living on a Wisconsin dairy farm
at Wisconsin Watch


“I love this country (USA) because there are many opportunities, many jobs — not like in Mexico, and it’s more beautiful. Wherever one goes, one sees beautiful pastures.”

Jose
Undocumented worker living in Wisconsin

No comments: