11/15/2005

Reagan Remembered: Social Security

"I believe that we should build any social security rescue plan around three very basic principles:

First, we must preserve the integrity of the trust funds and the basic social security benefit structure.

Second, we must eliminate abuses within the system and elements of the system which duplicate other programs, both of which could rob beneficiaries of their hard-earned benefits.

Third, we must hold down the tax burden on current and future workers.

I believe in those principles, and I think that a great majority of the American people believe in them, too. I believe in the social security system. I believe that it will survive and keep its promise to this generation of beneficiaries and those to come."


December 29, 1981

No comments: