9/24/2005

Pausing to Remember: Eric Dakota Ruegsegger & Eric Lund

The first section on the St. Paul Pioneer Press I read every day are the obituaries. It has been my habit for a decade. That is when I realize dI could get the jump on the arrival of bad news that may require me to rearrange my schedule in the upcoming days. Most of the times, there's no bad news that impacts me. No passing of a friend's parent or a friend or a person who shared an encounter with my life. That's a good thing...

Then there are times when I read the obit that leaves a mark on my memory. Sometimes, it's a famous person who the newspaper has included; sometimes it's an paid obit someone has had the paper print. A vast majority of the paid submissions are pretty much the age, date born, date died, people proceeding and survived by variety of obits. Occasionally, someone will actually pay the extra money to tell something about their loved one who passed away.

The family of Eric Dakota Ruegsegger submitted such an obit a couple weeks ago. Eric died three days short of has 10th birthday. In Eric's decade on Earth, he was a busy boy. All I know about Eric is what I read in the obit. From what I read, I can tell head will be remember always by a family that will forever miss him. What follows is what his family thought of their dear son:

Eric Dakota Ruegsegger, age 9, of Mahtomedi, MN, passed away on September 10, 2005 at home surrounded by his family after a courageous battle with cancer (Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma). Eric was born September 13, 1995 in Columbia, MO. Eric was a 5th grade student at OH Anderson Elementary School and earlier attended Wildwood Elementary School, Mahtomedi, MN. He loved soccer, reading, boating, camping, animals, television, Legos, and attending MN Wild hockey games. He was a Zookeeper for a Day at the San Diego Zoo for his Make-A-Wish trip. Eric was a member of Cub Scout pack 89 and achieved the rank of Webelos II. A highlight of his scouting was participation in the Pinewood Derby with his Dad and receiving numerous race awards. Also known as "Galron," Eric loved games, especially computer gaming. He was also a great chess player, though was known to cheat at Stratego if given the opportunity.

Eric will be remembered by his parents, Katherine (Goffeney) Ruegsegger, formerly of St. Joseph, MO, Michael Ruegsegger, formerly of South Wayne, WI; and sister, Katelyn Ruegsegger of Mahtomedi, MN. He is also survived by grandparents, Jean and Richard Ruegsegger of South Wayne, WI, Pat and Pete Wilson of St. Joseph, MO, Joe Goffeney and Suzy Bowyer of Las Vegas, NV, and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, relatives and friends.

---

I can't speak for anybody else, but Eric's resume sure looks like mine for the first decade of my life. Maybe I've taken too much for granted...

I included a picture of the cover of a book titled "Eric" by Doris Lund. The book was written by Eric's mother, Doris, and published in 1974. Eric Lund died of cancer around the age of 20. If you haven't read the book, I suggested you do. It will show you the meaning of courage and it may make you take things a little less for granted.

My two cents worth on the subject of obituaries -- skimp on the funeral and go big on the paid obit. Tell us more about those people you loved, have lost and will forever miss. We need to know.

No comments: