1/17/2006

Two Books To Read: "Gifted Hands" and "Think Big" by Ben Carson

"I did not like school very much and there was no reason why I should. I was the dumbest kid in the class. What did I have to look forward to? The others laughed at me and made jokes about me every day."

-- Dr. Ben Carson
former inner-city kid
currently world famous pediatric neurosurgeon

Dr. Carson has written a book about his life, Gifted Hands: A True Story of Healing and Inspiration, which is to be made into a motion picture. A review of this book described it as a portrait of a man's "extraordinary path to success." When his journey began, he was living in poverty, had a pathological temper, poor self-esteem and awful grades. His book, The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life, explores how we can overcome obstacles to take action on behalf of something greater than ourselves. His second book Think Big also explores his life philosophy. Someone who has made such a dramatic change in the course of his life can certainly inspire others to have faith in their own intellect.

More info on Ben Carson

No comments: